Not really spicy in the slightest, but that’s what my mum calls it and who am I to quibble? The peas and turmeric work really well, and the lentils thicken it nicely.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
500g lean steak mince
1 cup lentils (150g)
3 tbsp tomato purée
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
600ml beef stock
200g frozen peas
(Optional: 3 tbsp fresh coriander)
Pita bread to serve
- Heat oil in a pan and fry onions gently for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic, ground coriander and turmeric, and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add mince and fry for 10 minutes, turning as necessary until meat is really brown all over.
- Stir in lentils, tomato purée, tomato ketchup and beef stock. Cover and cook gently for 25 minutes.
- Add frozen peas, warm through, and scatter with fresh coriander to serve.