Just the ticket to make use of prawns which are often on the reduced pile at your local supermarket. Can be frozen after you’ve made it, just need to make sure you reheat the rice carefully. Takes a while to make as all rice-y risotto dishes do, but the taste makes it worth it! It’s the sort of recipe you can adapt, adding in different meats and spices depending on what you fancy.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, de-seeded
100g pack chorizo
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
300g long grain rice
1l hot chicken stock
200g frozen peas
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, then soften the onion for 5 mins without browning.
- Add the tomatoes, then the chorizo and fry until it releases its oils.
- Stir in the spices and rice until coated by the oils, then pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Tip in the peas and cook for 5 mins, then stir in the seafood to heat through for a final 1-2 mins cooking or until rice is cooked.
- Check for seasoning and serve immediately.