Quintessential afternoon tea fare. Serve hot with butter, jam, or clotted cream. Whether you pronounce the word properly, or as scoahns.
225g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
55g butter, cut up
140ml milk + extra to brush
- Mix the flour and baking powder
- Rub in the butter until it has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs
- Stir in the sugar and then the milk
- Knead the resultant dough lightly on a floured surface and roll out so it’s about an inch thick
- Cut out with a 5cm fluted cutter and place on a lightly greased baking tray.
- Brush with milk, and bake for 10-15 minutes at Gas Mark 7 / 220oC until well-risen and golden
- Cool on wire racks and serve with butter and jam.