A definite contender for my favourite chocolate cake ever awards… Though I think the Dark Fudgy Chocolate cake just has the edge on this. The original recipe just called for double the filling and spread butter icing on top as well, but I had double cream going spare, so thought I’d do a ganache over the top; worked really well, if I say so myself!
175g self raising flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
150g caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
150 ml (1/4 pint) sunflower oil
150 ml (1/4 pint) semi skimmed milk
2 tbsp golden syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line two 18cm (7 inch) sandwich tins.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre and add the syrup, eggs, oil and milk. Beat well with electric whisk until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the two tins and bake for 25 – 30 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven, leaving to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Filling – Chocolate Butter Icing
90g icing sugar
1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
A drop of milk
- Place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft.
- Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder then add enough milk to make the icing fluffy and spreadable.
- Sandwich cake together.
Coating – Ganache
150ml double cream
100g dark chocolate
- Grate the chocolate into a bowl.
- Heat the cream in a pan until almost boiling, then pour over chocolate and stir.
- Leave to cool in fridge before spreading over cake.