I tend to find Hummingbird stuff overrated, particularly their frosting, but when searching for a chocolate muffin recipe I thought I might as well try the version from their book that I have. These were yummy, if a bit too sweet for breakfast… fine for elevenses though!
(makes 12 muffins or about 18-20 cupcakes)
200g caster sugar
130g plain flour
50g cocoa powder
2tsp baking powder
160ml milk (whole pref.)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
160g unsalted butter, melted
100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and well combined.
- Separately, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Separately again, combine the milk and vanilla extract.
- Beat the results of (2) and (3) alternately into the egg mixture little by little, until well incorporated.
- Stir in the melted butter with a wooden spoon until well incorporated, then stir in the chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin/cupcake cases 2/3 full. Bake at 170oC/325oF for about 30 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched and a skewer comes out clean. Leave the muffins to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.