If you’re in the mood for some comforting wintry stodge, this cross between a flapjack and gingerbread is just what the doctor ordered! We need extra energy to keep us warm, right?
225g pale muscovado sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
4 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp baking powder
1 pinch allspice
- Pre-heat oven to Gas 4 / 180oC
- Line a swiss roll or baking tin measuring about 9 x 13 inches with greaseproof paper and grease it very well, or else use a silicone pan
- Stir the dry ingredients together.
- Melt the butter and syrup over low heat.
- Pour the butter mixture on to the dry ingredients
- Stir well to make a fairly stiff mixture.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the base of the prepared tin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and into squares or fingers whilst still warm. (The mixture may still be runny when removed from the oven)
- Leave biscuits in the tin until they are completely cold.