essentially, these taste like Christmas.
Makes about 35.
340g plain flour
2 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground cloves
170g unsalted butter, softened
90g soft dark sugar
110g granulated sugar, plus 50g for rolling cookies
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190oC and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves) in a bowl
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy, add in the brown sugar and 110g granulated sugar and continue mixing until well combined.
- Add in the egg, vanilla and treacle and beat at medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add in the dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Place remaining 50g of granulated sugar in bowl.
- Scoop out dough in about 1 tbsp scoops, and roll into a ball, then roll the ball in the granulated sugar and place on the prepared cookie sheets about 1 or 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake in the oven for 11-12 minutes until cracked. Let them cool for 5 minutes on the tray and then remove to wire rack.