Great comfort food (if you like cheese) while still containing enough vegetables to keep me happy. Not much to this at all, but perfect on a cold winter’s night.
Pasta: cook 225g of penne as per the packet instructions. About 5 minutes before it’s ready, add 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets, and 1 large onion, chopped.
For the cheese sauce
2 tbsp flour
Salt, pepper, pinch rosemary (optional)
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
175g cheddar cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in the microwave
- Add the flour and mix well
- Bring the milk to the boil, either in a milk pan or by heating it in the microwave – let it boil for a few seconds.
- Pour the milk onto the flour/butter mix, whisking it. Season it.
- Put everything in the microwave for 30s, whisk more until no lumps, repeat as necessary.
- Add the mustard and half of the grated cheese; stir until smooth
Put it all together
- Drain the pasta and veg and put in an appropriate receptacle (gratin dish or roasting tin I’d say)
- Pour the cheese sauce over and top with more grated cheese.
- Bake at 200oC for about 15 minutes