As I wasn’t a huge fan of Hummingbird’s muffins before (they didn’t actually taste like muffins should, just like chocolate chip cupcakes), I searched for another recipe. These are much better. They’re quite dark, so you might want to substitute some hot chocolate powder for the cocoa, or milk chocolate chips for the dark chocolate if you prefer a sweeter muffin.
The only thing about muffins is that you really need to eat them the same day as you bake them… but if that’s just not an option, then blasting them in the microwave for 30 seconds will give them a new lease of life!
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp salt
100g caster sugar
50g dark chocolate chips
50g white chocolate chips
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
90ml vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan oven 170°C. Put 12 paper muffin cases into a muffin tray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and chocolate chips.
- Beat together the egg, vanilla extract and milk. Add the oil, stirring to mix.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Do not beat or over-mix – the batter will still be a little bit lumpy.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.