Does what it says on the tin; excellent for using up butterbeans. Word of warning – if you’re using dried ones that you’ve rehydrated, you do need to de-shell them… probably best if you, unlike me, don’t try to do this while they’re in a pot of boiling water but do it before you start cooking them.
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onions, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tbsp ground coriander
1/2 tbsp medium curry powder
500g carrots, roughly sliced
1 or 2 x 400g cans butter beans , drained and rinsed
0.6l vegetable stock
200ml whole milk
- Put the oil and onions in a large pan and soften for 10 mins.
- Stir in the spices and cook for 2 mins, then add the sliced carrots with beans and the vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 15-20 mins until the carrots are tender.
- Whizz the soup to a purée with a hand blender, or purée in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Stir in the milk and season to taste, then keep on a very gentle heat until needed.
- Top with fresh or dry chives and serve with crusty bread.
(Adapted from BBC Good Food)