As the past 3 weeks have featured soup on a Tuesday, I thought I might as well make a month of it and end as I started with a soup involving curry-tastes and sweet potato. This one is rather different from that one, however, as the mango chutney makes it taste a bit sweeter than you’d expect soup to taste – it’s rather tasty and different!
2 sweet potatoes
1 slug olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
100g red lentils
800ml vegetable stock
6 dessertspoons of mango chutney
- Wash the sweet potato and roast it in the oven, unchopped and skin on, for an hour at 140oC.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Fry the garlic, onion and cumin gently for five minutes.
- Add the lentils and stock to the pan and let them boil for ten minutes.
- Cover, and reduce the mixture to a simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove the skin from the sweet potatoes and dice. Add, along with the mango chutney.
- Use a hand blender to purée until smooth.
- Chop some coriander and top to serve, if you desire.