While September’s muffins were perfectly acceptable, I felt my quest for the best possible lemon and poppyseed muffin was yet to be fulfilled, so tried this recipe, which is very different. I think it’s my favourite yet – and not too sweet, so perfect for breakfast! As with all muffins, beware the next-day curse: they taste best the day they’re made, so either freeze the rest or aim to feed a crowd!
2tbsp cream cheese
125ml (1/2 cup) milk
3/4 tbsp lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp poppy seeds
- In the bowl of your mixer add the butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and the cream cheese and continue mixing until everything is well incorporated.
- Add the milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest and continue mixing.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds together.
- Add the flour mix onto the wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Divide between 12 muffin cases
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes then cool on a wire rack at 175oC
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp caster sugar
- Mix all together.
- Poke holes in muffins with a cocktail stick.
- Drizzle over the still-warm muffins.