A lesson in not buying 2kg of mushrooms on a whim because they’re really cheap from a random market you pass, nor an aubergine because Lidl has it on offer that week… or maybe that should be a lesson in buying these sorts of things because they then inspire you to make this, which is very tasty.
Though I’m still rather wary of aubergines; they do seem to gobble up an awful lot of oil.
(serves 3 or double for serves 5)
60ml olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, grated
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 aubergine, peeled if you want and diced
2 tbsp tomato purée
60ml red wine
100ml vegetable stock
150g mushrooms, halved
2 tomatoes, chopped
For the mashed potato, 2 large mashing potatoes (peeled/scrubbed and cut up) and 50g butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C and begin boiling the potatoes
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add the mixed herbs.
- Add the aubergines and remaining oil and fry for 5-6 minutes. (Take this opportunity to cut the tomatoes and mushrooms)
- Stir in the tomato purée and cook for a further 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and stock, bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes. When the potatoes are ready, remove from the heat and mash with the butter.
- Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and stir until well combined.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top