Chocolate cake smothered in chocolate… could you ask for anything better (or more likely to give you diabetes)? Inspired by (where else?) Pinterest, I’ve been wanting to make this sort of thing for ages and had the perfect opportunity to do so when I attended my second hen do in a week (hen dos clearly being like buses… wait 21 years and then two come along almost at the same time!). You can do this with whatever chocolate cake recipe you already have – the one I used is below, but it doesn’t matter – then cover it in chocolate butter frosting, then stud the sides with something else (Milky Way Stars were on offer in Sainsbury’s and were more exciting than chocolate chips), scatter different chocolates over the top (I used Munchies, chocolate curls, and some Maltesers based on various sweets that had been brought round to my flat by guests and then never eaten), and then drizzle more melted chocolate over the top. More extravagant than your run of the mill chocolate cake perhaps, but oh-so-worth it for its looks and chocolatey goodness!
(serves 12-16 depending on your slices)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g coarsely chopped dark chocolate
8 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda.
- In a saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the water over a medium-high heat.
- Remove from the heat, add the coarsely chopped chocolate and the butter and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder.
- Beat in the eggs, then stir in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture, whisking until incorporated. It’ll still be a very runny mixture, but don’t worry.
- Divide the batter between 2 well-greased, 8-inch-round cake pans and bake in the lower third of an oven pre-heated to gas mark 4 / 180oC until the cakes are springy to the touch and have pulled away from the sides of the pans: about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to racks and let cool for 10 minutes. Remove from the pans and place on the racks. Let cool completely.
500g icing sugar, sifted
120g cocoa powder
113g butter/marg, softened to room temperature
1/3-1/2 cup whole milk (start out with 1/3 cup of milk and add more milk to your desired consistency)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- Add the butter, milk and vanilla extract.
- Using an electric mixer, slowly mix together at a low speed.
- Once all the ingredients are combined, increase the speed and beat till fluffy.
Melt about 250g of chocolate with 50ml double cream and 50g butter so nice and runny. Drizzle over the cake once you’ve pressed the other chocolate decorations in!