For when the weather outside is frightful, and you want a great big bowl of something tasty 🙂 I do still love lentil chilli, but went off it slightly after several episodes of cooking it in very large quantities. And this is lovely for a change (and on its own merits!).
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
1 medium sweet potato – about 454g
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can kidney beans, rinsed (1 cup cooked = 1/2 cup dried if you’re soaking your own)
400g can other beans, rinsed (ditto)
110g can tomato purée
1 tbsp mild chilli powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground oregano
2 cups water
40g dark chocolate
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a pan.
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add them to the pot. Continue to stir and cook.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into ½ inch cubes. Add them to the pot and continue to stir and cook.
- Rinse and drain the beans in a colander. Add them to the pot along with everything else. Stir until everything is well combined. Place a lid on the pot and allow the chilli to come up to a simmer. Let the chilli simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the sweet potatoes have softened.
- Serve hot, topped with sour cream or plain yoghurt, grated Cheddar cheese, and pitta bread or nachos.