I made some crystallised ginger the other day, primarily to obtain ginger syrup to add to hot apple juice to make delicious hot spiced juice, and thought I’d use the ginger left over to make these cookies. As in the delicious treacle cookies, the black treacle means that the cookies are delightfully chewy, though I’ll admit that they’re not the best lookers in the world! Allow plenty of room for spreading.
(makes 20-30 cookies)
130g dark brown sugar
75g granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 tbsp black treacle
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp cocoa (optional)
100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
4 tbsp crystallised ginger (optional)
- Beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, treacle, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the powdery ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate and ginger chunks.
- Drop by tbsp onto baking sheets, and bake for 8-10 minutes at 180oC.
- Allow the cookies to rest on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely.