A very tasty curry. There are lots of spices that play together very nicely to give a complex flavour without leaving you running for chilled milk. Use whole spices if you have them and a mortar and pestle to hand; I did not and ground ones were fine!
2 red onions, finely sliced
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
(optional: 1 sweet potato, cubed)
1 tin plum tomatoes
2 tins chickpeas
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 fresh green chilli, finely sliced – or 1 tsp harissa paste
- Gently fry sliced onions in vegetable oil.
- Once they are translucent, stir in the sweet potato if using. Tip in the spices and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the water and tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas, garlic and salt – and harissa paste if using.
- Allow to reduce for 10 minutes (or as long as necessary for the sweet potato to cook) over a low heat, adding water if necessary.
- Sprinkle with fresh chilli if using before serving with rice or flatbreads and mango chutney.
(adapted slightly from frugalfeeding)