This crust is a bit crumbly, but once it’s cooked it doesn’t really matter.
for the crust
175g plain flour
75g ground hazelnuts (either ready-ground, or process them first before adding other ingredients)
50g icing sugar
finely zested rind of one lemon
1/4 tsp cinnamon
freshly grated nutmeg
1 egg yolk
for the filling
handful brambles (blackberries)
3 bramley apples, peeled and sliced
1 tsp lemon juice
- Put all dry ingredients for pastry crust in a food processor and blitz until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and blitz again. If it needs a little more moisture to make it come together, add a tablespoon of cold water.
- Roll into a ball, cover with clingfilm and rest in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Divide into 2/3 and 1/3 quantities. Roll out the 2/3 piece to line base and sides of a 23cm tart tin. Roll the 1/3 piece out flat and cut into strips for lattice.
- Put fruit, juice, and sugar in a small saucepan. Cover and heat slowly until bubbling, sugar dissolved, and apples turned to a pulp. Thicken with a little cornflour mixed into cold water if necessary.
- Spoon the fruit filling into the tart crust. Lay the lattice strips across the fruit filling.
- Place on a hot baking sheet or oven tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 190C for 30-35 minutes.