Not normally one to deviate from my tried-and-trusted brownie recipe, but I had some salted caramel left over from making salted caramel and chocolate tarts and figured I’d try something new. They were really good, even if my caramel was a bit too runny. Enough that I might make again using just the recipe’s needs of 100g sugar / 50g butter / 1/4 tsp salt flakes / 3 tbsp double cream (check the above link for method of how to make caramel)… although I’m quite lazy sometimes so probably would just wait until I had some spare caramel lying around.
85g dark chocolate, chopped
115g unsalted butter
200g granulated sugar (or white/brown sugar mix)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
85g plain flour
However much caramel you want, frozen or refrigerated until quite firm.
- Preheat oven to 180oC and lightly grease an 8×8 inch baking pan.
- Melt chocolate and butter until only a couple of unmelted bits remain, then take off the heat and stir until smooth and fully melted.
- Whisk in sugar, then eggs, one at a time, then vanilla.
- Stir in flour with a flexible spatula.
- Chop or spoon caramel into small pieces (depending on how firm it is), and gently fold all but a few bits into the batter. Scrape the batter into the pan until even then scatter remaining caramel bits on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180oC, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out almost clean.