I was visiting a friend in Mannheim and she suggested one day that we have these gnocchi-like things as a quick and easy luncheon. Given their absence in Glaswegian shops, their re-creation wasn’t quite so straightforward, but they are sufficiently tasty that they are worth a wee bit of effort to make! Serve with apple compote or sauerkraut (sadly, again both are more readily available in Baden-Wurttemburg), or anything else you can think of!
(serves 4-5, or half for 2-3)
500g potatoes, peeled, boiled, and mashed very well
150-200g flour (+ extra for kneading)
Few pinches of salt
1 pinch nutmeg
- Knead the mashed potatoes into a dough with the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring a salted pot of water to a rolling boil. Flour your surface well.
- Roll dough into long finger-thick strips, squeezing so they have tips at both ends.
- Drop into the boiling water for about 5 minutes until they float.
- Fry (I added some onions at this point) and serve.