I’m not quite sure what I did before sweet potato’s ubiquitousness. So tasty, even if it doesn’t always take the nicest of photographs…
2 large sweet potatoes (about 1.5kg)
400g tin chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried thoroughly.
2 tbsp harissa / chilli paste with added paprika
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 aubergine, sliced into rounds about 0.5 cm thick
1 red onion, sliced
Handful of parsley
- Pierce the sweet potatoes and place on baking tray in oven – bake for 45 minutes at 200oC.
- In a large bowl, mix the harissa, olive oil, and tomato purée, then add in the chickpeas and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. When the sweet potatoes have been in the oven for 10 minutes, add the chickpeas to the same baking tray and return to oven.
- In the same bowl, place the aubergine and onion slices and toss to coat. Add more oil if too dry, and season. Place on baking tray & keep the bowl aside.
- 10 minutes after you put the chickpeas in, move to a lower oven shelf and put the aubergine on the top shelf.
- Keep an eye on both trays to avoid burning.
- After the original 45 minutes is up, check everything is cooked. Split open the potato skins and scoop the flesh into the bowl. Mash and season, then divide between 3 plates / bowls / tubs.
- Place the aubergine/onion mix on top of each, then the chickpeas, then squeeze over the lemon and scatter with parsley. Enjoy!