Slightly more burnt than the pinterest version doing the rounds but still very tasty and pretty! An excellent party snack if you’ve got an hour or so spare…
1 sheet puff pastry
2 red apples
1/2 lemon, juice
3 tbsp jam (I used raspberry, but use your judgement)
Optional (I forgot): icing sugar to decorating
- Prepare a bowl with some water and the lemon juice.
- Cut the apples in half, remove the core, and cut the apples into paper-thin slices (use a mandoline if you have one). Leave the peel to make the roses red. Place the slices in the bowl so they won’t change colour.
- Microwave the apples in the bowl for about 3 minutes to soften them.
- Roll out the sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface, rolling it so it’s quite thin and can make about 10 rectangles 4 x 20cm. Cut out the rectangles.
- In another bowl, place 3 tbsp of jam with 2 tbsp of boiling water. Stir to thin, and spread on the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 190oC and drain the apples.
- Place the apples on the dough, peel up (they will take up about half of the dough), and overlap to end. Fold up bottom part of the dough.
- Carefully roll, seal the edge, and place in a silicone muffin cup.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until fully cooked.
(http://cookingwithmanuela.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/apple-roses.html has full picture instructions)