With all the sugar-free chat recently, I thought I’d try some lower-sugar recipes and this was a pleasant, simple throwback-type bake.
100g mixed dried fruit
70ml tea (I used Lady Grey), cooled until tepid
1 heaped tsp honey
1 free-range egg, beaten
150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp mixed spice
- Preheat the oven to 180oC
- Place the dried fruit into a large mixing bowl and pour over the warm tea. Stir in the honey.
- Beat the egg and whisk it into the tea mixture using a fork.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and mixed spice.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until well-combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into a greased, small (1 pound) loaf tin. Bake 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in tin, then cut into thick slices. Eat within a few days.