Sneaking in just before the beautiful Scottish summer that I’m sure is just around the corner, this is a hearty Savoie mountain dish perfect for a cold night.
(serves 6 with a salad)
1kg red potatoes, sliced very finely with a mandolin if you have one
A knob of butter
2 onions, diced
225g creme fraiche
250g brie, cut into slices
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful of almonds, sliced roughly
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to the boil and then simmer, covered, for 5-8 minutes. Drain and leave the water to evaporate for a couple of minutes then place in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a pan and soften the onion until transparent.
- Place the onion mix into the potato and stir in the creme fraiche. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Butter an oven dish of about 22 x 32 cm. Place the potato/onion mix inside, top with the brie and the nuts, and cover with silver foil.
- Cook at 175oC for 30 minutes then remove the silver foil. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes until little bubbles form.