A delicious side or veggie main, this can be mixed up to go with whatever vegetables you have about. The name “tian” comes from the form of dish this is traditionally cooked in, but really any oven-proof dish with high-ish sides will do.
2-3 large aubergines
3-4 large courgettes
1 onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
herbes de Provence
salt and pepper
handful of grated cheese
- Soften the onion and garlic over a low heat in a frying pan then leave aside to cool.
- Butter an oval oven dish.
- Wash the vegetables and cut into thin rounds – an excellent time for the “thick” setting on your mandolin.
- Lay the onions on the bottom of the dish, then lay the potato disks flat.
- Arrange the rest of the vegetables on their side in roughly alternating order.
- Add salt, pepper, drizzle over olive oil, and sprinkle some herbes de provence.
- Cook at 180oC for 45 minutes, sprinkle the cheese over, and then cook for another 45 minutes.