A delicious veggie-protein addition to a tapas night – and it can be served cold so can be made ahead.
300g spinach (either fresh or frozen)
8 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions
800g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pour boiling water over the spinach (if fresh), or boil in a saucepan (if frozen). Drain well and squeeze dry, trying not to mush the spinach too much.
- Heat 3 tbsp in a 25cm non-stick pan with a lid, then sweat the onions for 15 minutes until really soft.
- Add another 3 tbsp oil, and add the potatoes and garlic.
- Mix in the onions, season well, cover and cook over a gentle heat for another 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, tip in the cooked potato and onion, and mix together. Stir in the spinach, trying not to break up the potato too much.
- Add 2 tbsp more oil to the pan, and pour in the sweet potato and egg mix. Cover and cook over a low-medium heat for 20 minutes until the base and sides are golden brown and the centre has mostly set. Run a palette knife around the sides.
- Put a plate face down onto the pan, then flip it over. Slide the tortilla back into the pan and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until just set and golden all over. Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then tip onto a board before cutting into wedges. Serve hot or cold.