This recipe is for 5, with quantities for 25 people in brackets, so you can see how easy it is to scale. If you have time, rice is the cheapest accompaniment, but value pita breads are not too expensive either.
1 (5) tbsp oil
1 (5) large onion
1 (5) red pepper
2 (10) cloves garlic, peeled and diced
1 (5) heaped tsp chilli powder
1 (5) tsp cumin
500g (2kg) minced beef
1 (5) beef stock cubes (in 300ml/1.5l hot water)
1 (5) 400g can chopped tomatoes
couple of squares / 100g dark chocolate
2 (10) tbsp tomato purée
1 (5) can kidney beans
- Prepare veg
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onions and stir to cook until soft.
- Add garlic, pepper, and spices, and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Turn the heat up and add mince, stirring to break it up. Continue to stir until mince is browned.
- Add stock, beans, tomatoes, and chocolate. Season. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with pita bread / rice