This is like some sort of lasagne except not. Got good reviews from its eaters. Serves 20 (generously).
1.4kg of beef mince
5 large onions, peeled and chopped finely
5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
4 tbsp oil
5 tsp dried mixed herbs
5 cans of chopped tomatoes
1.5kg penne pasta
Water for boiling pasta
300g grated cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Sprinkles of paprika
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic, add the mince and spices and cook until done. Add the canned tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and set to simmer.
- While the mince is cooking, bring the water to the boil in a medium sized pot, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Melt the butter, whisk the flour in, and add the milk glug at a time, continuing to whisk until it thickens into béchamel sauce. This will take ages – try turning the heat up a bit.
- When the mince and the pasta are cooked, mix the two together with the béchamel in an oven proof dish.
- Top with grated cheese and paprika.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 – 15 minutes, or until the cheese start to bubble.