Using real butter and cream here is essential, as the flavour shines through. Serves 20
about 85g butter
3 large onions, peeled and chopped
3 tsp garlic purée
3 harlequin squashes (or use butternut), peeled and chopped into 2.5cm cubes
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
3 sweet potatoes
2.25l vegetable stock
300ml double cream
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over a low to medium heat. Add onion to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally. Add garlic to the pan.
- Once the onion is soft, add the chilli powder, cumin and the coriander and salt and pepper. Fry for a few minutes, then add the butternut squash to the pan and stir.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into 2.5cm cubes and add to the pan as well.
- Pour in the stock and make sure everything is covered and give it a good stir ensuring you get to the bottom. If the stock is not enough to cover everything add hot water from the kettle.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the vegetables are soft (20-30 minutes). Add extra hot water, if things start looking too dry.
- Blend to the desired texture, stir in the cream and serve.